Having a party at home and not sure what to cook? And you are also tired of making chapatti and parathas? If answer to both the question is Yes....Then try making rice with a twist. Pulao and Biryani is easy and exotic dish that everyone will love.
- 2 cup Basmati rice
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (see link below for recipe to make your own)
- 2 tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables of your choice - I use beans, peas, carrots, corn (even frozen mixed veg works well))
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups warm water
- 3 tbsps coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Take rice and add water to wash. Pour out water. Add more water and wash again and again till water is clear. Drain off all water and keep the aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan on medium heat. Add the onions and fry till soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry for 1 minute.
- Now add all the spice powders and mix well. Cook the masala (onion-ginger-garlic-spice mix) till the oil begins to separate from it. You may need to sprinkle a little water over the masala as it cooks, to keep it away from burning. Stir frequently while browning masala.
- When the masala is cooked, add the tomato to it and cook till pulpy.
- Add the rice and the mixed veggies to the masala, add salt to taste and pour in the warm water. Stir well. Cook till the water comes to a boil. Stir and monitor the cooking till most of the water dries up and the rice begins to develop on its surface. Turn the heat down to low/ simmer and cover the pan. Cook till done. You will know the rice is done when you press a grain between your thumb and index finger and it squishes completely.
- Turn the heat off now as some cooking will continue to take place even after you do that. Let the dish rest on the stove (turned off) for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped fresh coriander leaves and oregano.
Have this hot with raiata or chutney.!