Tuesday, January 22, 2013

How To Preserve Ginger (Paste and Whole)- Tuesday's Tip

Yes!! so it is Tuesday today and so I am back with the new tip. Today I will tell you 2 ways to store or preserve ginger. Ginger is very cheap and is available at all the veggie shops; we generally buy very little amount of ginger because we are scared of it getting stale or rotten. But I am not one of them, because I know how to preserve ginger. 
 
Fresh ginger cannot be beaten for taste and refreshing texture. Its use in stir-fry dishes and other Asian cuisine. It also enhances many sweet foods when baking. I prefer to store ginger in 2 ways -one for the gravies or soups and other one in large pieces for spiced tea, lemon ginger juice etc.

Ginger on demand for soups and gravies:
Clean and peel 1 fresh ginger. The edge of a spoon works very well for this task, removing the papery skin easily. Take the grinder or blender and grind the ginger to very fine paste. Mix in it 1/2 cup of oil and 5 tbsp of salt. Fill the mixture in the air tight jars and keep them in the fridge. The paste in ready and can be used whenever you want. Please note that the paste has oil and salt in it, so remember it so that you do not end up adding excess salt and oil in the gravies and soup.

Ginger on demand as whole
For this I do not peal the ginger; it is said that ginger peal is very nutritious and has more flavor and aroma. So simply cut the ginger into large chunks and wash it well, so that peal is free from dust. Dry them on paper or kitchen towel so that there is no moisture left in the ginger. Then simply take plastic zip lock bag and put the ginger in it, and freeze it in the freezer. Now when you need to put ginger in the juice, tea or sweet dishes simple take one piece and grate the ginger; you are all ready to use it.




These tips are great way to store ginger for a long time and use as and when needed. Buy it in bulk, when on sale and store it quickly and easily.




* Disclaimer :::: Not all the information mentioned above is my own and some of it are taken from various books and online sources like Google including the pics. My pics will have my logo on them , rest all are taken randomly from Google

11 comments:

  1. good tips, i will now always preserve ginger and buy them in bulk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i do the same. but ginger garlic paste & keep it in the fridge.
    lasts for a very long time.
    www.beautyguaan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there any way to preserve the same without refrigeration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, i am sorry!...U either need to freeze it or refrigerate it :)

      Delete
  4. Ok I have to ask .... What is the ratio of ginger to the amount of salt and oil you have given, I only ask as I buy ginger root in bulk to dry and grind down. This time I also made ginger paste which I stored in a Kilner jar in the fridge, I made it on 29 October and today 08 November I had to bin the whole jar as it had grown a fur jacket. I have made ginger paste in the past using fresh root ginger which I have cooked and pureed down to a paste with olive oil and salt but I have always frozen it in ice cube trays then defrosted the amount I needed before using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so for 5 inch piece ginger you will need 1/2 cup of oil and 5 tbsp of salt.

      Delete
  5. Can coconut oil be used for this, and is there there a substitute for salt actually my doctor has told use least salt as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How will I preserve ginger for tea?

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)