Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday's Tip- How To Store Green Chillies?


Today’s tip is very useful for all of us. Last Tuesday I shared how to handle the heat of chillies. Today I am going to share- How to store green chillies so that it lasts longer? I know we all pick a lot of chillies or just over-estimate what we need. And then comes the difficult task of making sure that they don’t spoil.

Every time I buy green chillies here in London, it reminds me-how back in India the sabjiwala used to gives us some dhaniya, karipatta and green chillies free as our token of loyalty for him. But here, there is no subjiwala and free things. I go to any Indian grocery store once in 3 weeks and buy all what I need in bulk. So either I would have to throw some chillies in the bin or they themselves spoil.

I have used frozen chillies as well, but they do not have that punch and spiciness like in fresh chillies. Anyways coming back to the tip; it is super easy and can be done at any kitchen. The stem of the green chillies are prone to bacteria and thus it leads to spoilage. So next time you bring green chillies simply discard the stem away. Then, if you find any rotten chillies in the bunch remove it off too because one rotten chilli can spoil the whole lot (remember the old saying about apple, only here it is chilli :) ). Next step is to wrap the chillies in the paper towel or newspaper and put them in Ziploc plastic and refrigerate it. Now wait and watch the magic; the green chillies will last longer (mine lasts up-to 4-5 weeks).

Hope you like the tip. Do use it and let me know the results. :-)

* Disclaimer :::: Not all the information mentioned above is my own and some of it are taken from various books and online sources like Google including the pics. My pics will have my logo on them , rest all are taken randomly from Google

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips...really appreciate the effort u take to update these tuesday tips :-)

    Thanks a lot for stopping by my space and leaving such lovely comments!

    Luv,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wrapping in the newpapers and that certainly works. My dishes are all with chilies so you other tips will come in handdy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nava, I am glad you are finding them useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shweta, thats a most wanted tip for me. I have been freezing my chilis since I wasted them a lot. I do some gardening during summer...so your tip is going to help me a lot to store the chilis and use them fresh. Thanks a lot!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)