Monday, October 27, 2014

Sukha Kala Channa Massala, Black Chickpeas Curry


October and Diwali all gone- time is actually flying and I am saying this in my every post these days. I had so much to do- four assignments to be complete, prepare for two parties, and also keep my spirits and energy high for Diwali. We had one social gathering before karva chauth-the one I mentioned here. The other party was yesterday, it was a mix of Diwali and baby shower-I will post about it soon. Finally all is done and I am so elated that all went well. Everyone enjoyed, loved the food and finally me and my husband can take a sigh of relief. Even though I want to talk so much and share about these days with you all but I rather rest and have a cup of green tea, read a book and count my days to go to India- oh yes I am flying to India on 24th.

This post has been lying in the drafts since months because somewhere I was not satisfied with pictures I clicked. After a lot of hesitation and confusion I finally decided to publish this because it’s a great recipe and I want you all to try it-period!!  I have made channa massala before using chickpeas or chola, but trust me black/kala channa is much better.


Kala channa is very nutritious- rich in carbohydrates, dietary fibre, minerals, iron and vitamins. You can make kala channe ki chaat or use in tomato gravy to prepare the curry. But Sukha Kala Channa Massala is one recipe that you MUST try. The consistency is semi liquid which is why each channa is covered with the spices- giving it ‘to die for’ flavours.

There is sharp taste of garlic and ginger followed my peppery tang of onions, everything finally smothered in handful of spices and blend of tomato puree. Homemade garam massala is must in this recipe as it gives the aromatic climax to the curry.

Ingredients:
Black Chickpea/kala channa1 cup, soaked
Onion/pyaz- 1
Tomato/tamatar 2
Cumin seeds/jeera-1 teaspoon
Ginger/adrak-1 inch
Green chillies/hari mirch-2
Garlic/lehsun- 3 cloves
Turmeric powder/haldi-1 teaspoon
Red chili powder/lal mirch-2 teaspoon
Coriander powder/dhaniya-1 tablespoon
Aseofetida/hing-1/4 teaspoon
Garam Massala-1 teaspoon
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Lemon juice-1 tablespoon
Chopped coriander leaves-2 tablespoon
Salt to taste

Method:
  1. Soak black chickpeas overnight. Next day strain the water and cook in pressure cooker with 4cups of water and salt for 4 whistels. Strain the water from the cooked chickpeas. Keep 1 cup of water aside.
  2. In the ginder make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.  Also puree tomatoes. Keep aside. Chop onions roughly.
  3. Heat oil in a pan and aseofetida in it. Next add in cumin seeds and let it crackle.
  4. Mix in ginger garlic and green chilli paste and let it cook on slow heat till raw smell of onions fades.
  5. Throw in chopped onions with 1/2 cup of water. Cook till onions are soft.
  6. Mix tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, garam massala, salt and half cup of water. Mix and cook it covered for 8 minutes.
  7. Throw in cooked chickpeas with the water and cook it covered for 8 minutes. Remove the lid and cook again for 5 minutes of till the consistency in semi liquid.
  8. Mix in lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.

Serving suggestions:
Serve hot with palak puri, kulchas or any parathas.
It is a great recipe for lunch box.

6 comments:

  1. The channa looks beautiful in the sky blue stoneware dish!! Have a safe trip to India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kala chana masala looks so delicious snd inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kala chana masala looks tempting dear..Have a joyful vacation,Shweta :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pics are great! N serveware color pretty:) i make more of kala chana chaat. Ur pics inspire makingbit this way more often

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone:) I thought the pics are too bad :)

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)