Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Gajar Mutter, Carrot Peas Stiry fry: Indian Side Dish


Think positive, he said. When I sulk over pity issues, there is always a voice telling me to think positive and be positive. The thing is I love fresh fruits and vegetables, the seasonal produced  ones and when I have to eat orange carrots and frozen peas it kind of freaks me out. I have grown up eating and enjoying red juicy carrots or pealing bright green peas and after 3 years I miss these seasonal veggies. Last weekend I almost (well almost) cried for red carrots and fresh peas, because everyone in India enjoyed them throughout the winter while I don’t even get to see them in the market.

Think positive, a voice whispered. While people in India can eat carrots or peas only in winters, I must be thankful to be able to consume it for the whole year. Toh kya hua if I get orange carrots or frozen peas, I atleast get them :-) Lesson learnt, be grateful and appreciative.  With a broad smile on my face I decided to make very simple and yet very popular Gajar Mutter, Carrot Peas Stiry fry.


Nothing beats simple cooking, there you find immense satisfaction. Simple in terms of methods but high in flavours. Sweet carrots and peas are cooked with basic Indian spices on low heat-the result a definite everyday kind of meal. Serve this along with tadka daal, rice and roti.

Ingredients:
2 large carrots/gajar, pealed and chopped
1/2 cup peas/mutter
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric/haldi
1 teaspoon coriander powder/dhaniya
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder
1 tablespoon coriander leaves

Method:
Heat oil in a pan. When oil gets hot add cumin seeds.
Add chopped carrots and peas. Turn the heat to low.
Add salt and turmeric. Mix. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
When carrots and peas are half cooked, add coriander powder and red chilli powder. Cover and cook again till carrots and peas turn soft.
Finally mix in dry mango powder and chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.


Notes:
I used frozen peas, feel free to use fresh peas.
Boil peas first to shorten the length/time of cooking.
You can substitute lemon juice instead of dry mango powder.

Serving suggestion:
Serve with methi theplas, moong dal parathas or plain roti.
Great as tiffin/lunch box snack. Roll up in parthas.
Can be used a stuffing for sandwiches.
For a simple thali menu, serve with lehsuni daal and roti.

7 comments:

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)