Moong ki daal ka chilla or pancake is a very healthy snack. You can make them in breakfast and even during evening tea time. My husband loves to eat them, so I make them quite often. My aunty told me that secret to this recipe is adding Suji/Semolina-it brings crispiness to the chilla. So here it is-
- 2 cups split moong lentils without skin – the yellow one
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder (heeng)
- 2" piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 finely chopped green chillies (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Semolina (suji)
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil to pan-fry the Chilla
- Thoroughly wash the Moong under running water. Put it into a large bowl and add the dry red chillies, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Mix well and add enough warm water to cover the Moong fully. Leave overnight to soak.
- Next day, drain the water away; grind the moong mixture in a food processor with suji to get a fine paste. Add water only if required to get the pour-able consistency .Mix in it grated ginger, coriander and salt to taste.
- Heat the pan on medium heat. When hot, add a few drops of cooking oil and mix such that it coats all sides of the pan. Now pour a ladle full of batter onto the pan and spread the batter into a circular shape from the centre to outwards. Cook for 1 minute.
- Drizzle with a little oil to Cheela to allow oil to go under it. Flip now and cook till the other side is golden too.
- Remove from pan and serve hot with chutneys of your choice. I made garlic –tomatoes garlic chutney( I will upload the recipe soon)
Tip: You can add paneer in to make Paneer Cheela.
-Add shredded cabbage, carrot, onion; and your vegetable chilla is ready.