Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Indian Masala Chaas / Spiced Buttermilk


After a very long time I am posting a recipe in my blog. I was busy holidaying in Paris and then Scotland and Amsterdam. Most of you have already seen Paris through my lens and thanks a lot for your comments.
Now back in London, back to routine. Back is the sun, the green trees, the chirping birds, the sprung flowers. Long days filled with sunshine is such a pure bliss after depressing and dark winters- this winters there was no trace of snow as well :-(. Anyways now I won’t bore you talking about the gloomy weather. It’s the summer time. Happy Summers everyone :-)


2 days back I was on phone with my friend in India (Mumbai) and she was mourning over heat and summers. She said ‘uff, I hate summers, I hate going out, it is so hot outside, I can’t even do makeup, it is sweat everywhere-etc etc’ Well it is not new for anyone who has experienced Indian summers- correct? Summers in India are not the sunny, warm and bright like London. Summers in India mean scorching heat, sand storms and sweaty days.


London is never that hot but even with a little sunshine I crave for something cold and yet healthy. Vodka Mojito, Mint Cucumber Cooler, Bloody Mary are okay once a while. But at times drinks without sugar is what I wish for. A huge thanks to that unknown someone who invented  Masala Chaas or Spiced Buttermilk which is healthy and is the perfect thirst quencher.


It is the blend of spices with thick yogurt and thus the health benefits are immense. Made with water and curd, this drink is perfect to soothe the stomach. As you drink it the cool butter milk tends to wash down the spices and calms an irritated stomach lining. Packed with electrolytes and lots of water, chaas is the best thing you can give your body to fight dehydration. This summer invest in glass of Masala Chaas and relieve yourself from sun.

Ingredients:
1 cup yogurt/dahi
4 cups cold water
1 teaspoon ginger juice/adrak
1 green chilli deseeded
1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera
Black salt to taste
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves/sukha pudhina

Method:
Mix everything together with 4 cups of cold water. Mix well till it is frothy.


Notes:
If you don’t have dried mint leaves, use fresh. Just used 4-5 crushed mint leaves.
Green chilli is optional but it brings great taste.

23 comments:

  1. This is must for everyday here shweta.love the clicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then this is very much needed after ur long vacation:) gotto try it out soon nice clicks shwetha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy and tasty....... Loeky clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. feeling thirsty staring themm...

    ReplyDelete

  5. I have this every day after lunch these days...looks so good...loved the clicks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are tempting me with this spiced up buttermilk. I always carve for this since my childhood. Delecious prepartion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are tempting me with this spiced up buttermilk. I always carve for this since my childhood. Delecious prepartion :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this spicy chaas..perfect for hot weather...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very refreshing spicy chaas, prefect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh masala chaas are savers when it comes to summer .U reminded me of summer in india ,Yes sun god is avilable all through the year in india .

    ReplyDelete
  11. nothing is better than a glassfull of this on a hot summer day. lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A glass of Chaas is what I really need now. Its so hot here and that glass looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yemmy and inviting healthy drink.love the clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  16. superb :) I love this anytime n a splendid treat for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The perfect drink for summer refreshment... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Refreshinh chaas, perfect for the summer..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pass a glass to me.it looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you everyone for wonderful comments :-)

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)