Mint, I guess is one of the most underestimated green. You will hear how good it is to eat spinach or kale or coriander leaves but you hardly hear same about the mint. Mint as we call pudhina or podhina in hindi is infact the healthiest green ever, also one of the cheapest.
Mint belongs to the herb called as mentha which is known for its aromatic quality. So other than just using it as mouth freshener, there are many benefits of mint:
- The menthol present in mint helps the enzymes necessary for digestion. They relax the smooth muscles of the stomach, reducing the chances of indigestion.
- When mint extract is used on an area that is hurting, it immediately provides a cooling effect, causing the area to partially become numb. This helps in lessening the pain. So now you know why balms have mint in it.
- Since pudina has a very strong aroma, it gets to stimulate your brain functioning and helps cure nausea.
- Mint juice is an excellent skin cleanser. It soothes skin, and helps to cure infections and itchiness, as well as being a good way to reduce pimples, and it can even relieve some of the symptoms of acne.
- Adding mint to your diet, you are increasing the amount of fat that is being consumed and put to use, rather than being stored and contributing to your weight gain.
- Mint if rubbed directly on the teeth and gums will refresh the mouth and eliminate dangerous forms of growth. That’s why even toothpaste producers use mint extract.
- Mint leaves are packed with nutrients such as calcium, phosphorous, vitamin C, D, E and small amounts of vitamin B complex. All these compounds put together improves the body’s immune system, keeping it safe from infections and inflammation.
- Mix in your dinks. Add mint leaves in water, juices or smoothies. I like to add mint leaves in green tea as well.
- Add in chutneys or throw some in salads.
- Use chopped or pureed mint leaves in parathas. I often use dry mint powder in parathas for extra flavour.
- If you really love mint flavour why not garnish your side dishes (subji) with chopped mint leaves.
Tip for weight loss:
In a jug add 1 liter water, to it add 4-5 mint leaves. Leave this water overnight. Nex day drink this water throughout the day. This mint infused water act as a flat trimmer and also improve the digestion.
My recipes with mint: