Thursday, April 17, 2014

Marwadi Bharwa Bhindi /Stuffed Okra


India- a country that has assortment of religions, languages, culture and food. Example south Indians add mustard seeds, curry leaves and coconut in their meals where as north Indians add ghee, cumin seeds and lots of garlic. Westerners like Guajaratis prefer sweet meals while Rajasthanis who are also from western India like their food to be very spicy. That’s why same white peas curry is Ghugni Chaat in West Bengal, Ragda Patties in Gujarat and Matra  in Bihar. Same aloo ki subji is served with kachori in Uttar Pradesh whereas with puri in Madhya Pradesh. You now get the picture??


Dish that I chose to upload on my blog is another example that showcases the changes that happens with it when it travels to different parts of India. It is Bharwa Bhindi/ Stuffed Okra. In north it gets the royal treatment-stuffed with panner and is made with lots of ghee. In eastern parts it is rather simple with mustard oil and yogurt. When in south it is loaded with curry leaves, coconut and mustard seeds. I made it marwadi way- the rajasthani style.


After I posted the marwadi aloo pyaz ki subji I have been getting request emails to add more marwadi cuisine in my blog. Well why not, after all I am a marwadi who is born and bought up in Rajasthan. So here is the western/rajasthani/marwadi form of making Bharwa Bhindi. First, even a drop of water on Bhindi can make it all gooey and slimy which is a strict no no. Gram flour and homemade chaat massala does the magic that conveys that Marwadi touch. No coconut, paneer just simple Indian spices and some patience is all you need to make this side dish.

Ingredients:
2 cups okra/bhindi
3 teaspoon gram flour/besan
1 teaspoon Red chilli powder/lal mirch
1 teaspoon Cumin powder/jeera
1 teaspoon Coriander powder/Dhania
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder/haldi
1 teaspoon Fennel seeds crushed/Saunf
1/2 teaspoon Dry mango powder/Amchur
1/2 teaspoon homemade chaat masala
2 Green chilies
Pinch asafoetida/hing
4 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds/jeera
1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon coriander leaves


Method:
  1. Wash okras well and drain on kitchen towel till there is not even a drop of water.
  2. Mix gram flour, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder, crushed fennel seeds, dry mango powder, chaat massala and salt in a bowl.
  3. Slit okras and stuff 1/4 teaspoon of above mixture in each of them.
  4. Heat oil and add cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida.
  5. Add stuffed okras in the pan and mix well. Add in all the remaining spice mixture. Cover and cook. Mix after every one minute. When soft, sprinkle garam massala on it. Let it sit covered for 5 minutes.
  6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.


Sending this to YBR hosted at Spice Foodie


21 comments:

  1. Love Okra! Recipe looks yum Shweta :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh bhindi stuffed .looks sooo good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't okra in so long but I do enjoy eating them. I'll have to prepare them like this next time, looks like a great side dish and my family enjoys eating them, too. Nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy stuffed okra ...Nice Presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! This is the second okra dish I've commented on today I'm a huge okra fan but I usually keep it simple with preparing okra by frying it or using it in gumbo. Your stuffed bhindi recipe is definitely going into my rotation! Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish i get that bowl of delicious stuffed bhindis.So tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stuffing bhindi is very new to me...cool idea..this post reminded me that I have baingan in my fridge which I bought for stuffing !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious looking okra dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love that its still green, otherwise with masala it becomes so black and burnt , dont feel like eating it, this also will be do my to do list now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me of my highschool days,I used to make it quite often. but mine always turn black n roasted ,nice to c ur okra still retaining the beautiful green color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully stuffed okra...........and awesome clicks too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One cannot find an lot of okra recipes, you have done justice to one and I am keenly interested in this healthy stir-fry. Book-marking your page right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this.. Looks so tempting dear.. Loved the clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious ...... Healthy and tasty too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been so long since I had Stuffed Okra. My husband's side of the family doesn't like this prep and I am so tempted right now seeing this preparation coz my Mum use to make it stuffed way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for the comments. Appreciation means a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow..it looks awesome. Super tempting, yummy and healthy Marwadi Bharwa Bhindi 

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)