Thursday, April 19, 2012

Koki (Sindhi Bread)





Koki is simple Sindhi flat bread. I have special memories of Koki. One of my friends in college was Sindhi - she was the one who made me taste Koki for the first time.  I like its taste and texture and also the fact that it can be made with minimum ingredients available in any kitchen. There are many ways to make Koki; what I have posted here is the traditional way of making it. In the pictures it looks like any other Indian bread, but the way to cook it is different and hence it tastes different. So do try to figure out the distinction between the other breads and Koki.



Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Wheat Flour
  • 1/4 Cup and 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 Tsp. Red chilly powder or 2 Green chillies finely chopped
  • 4 Tbsp. Oil
  • 8 tbsp Ghee 

Method:
  1. Mix flour, salt, chopped onion, chilly and 3 tbsp of oil very well.
  2. Mix some water into it and make stiff dough.
  3. Make 4 small balls out of it just like patties.
  4. Slightly roast it from both the sides on hot tawa. (roast very little)
  5. Then, roll it again like a paratha.  Cook it from both sides on hot tawa, adding little oil/ghee/butter till very small brown patches appear on both sides.
Serve hot with chutney or curd. I like it to pair it with Massla Tea.:)



3 comments:

  1. i loved it...loved the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Indian breads and this is the first time I learn about Koki. Sounds like a very delicious bread, will give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious I'll give it a try .

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)