Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Onion Shallots/ Small Onions- Rainy Day Subzi




Onion Shallots (Chote Pyaz) ki subji is so close to my heart. It is a story way back to my childhood days when frozen vegetables were completely unheard or known about. Buying fresh vegetables from a sabjiwala vendor was the normal and only option in India. In our town, household could be out of vegetables after a heavy rain or just because all the sabjiwala gang was out watching an Amitabh Bachchan  movie the previous night....

Ok, so no fresh vegetables at home, so? Mom had to think of something quick and then my mother use to prepare delightful dry sabji from just small onions. Me and my brother would call it as “Rainy Day Sabji”. Every time it rains I miss my mom’s cooked simple Onion Shallot Subji.

So now when it is raining heavily in London, there is no chance that I would not have made this dish. This is dedicated to my childhood rainy days memories and my Mother! :)

Ingredients:
Oil 2 tsp.
Shallots/small onions 10-12 peeled and halved
Turmeric (haldi) 2 tsp.
Cumin pwder (jeera powder) 2 tsp.
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Coriander( Dhaniya) powder 1 Tbsp.
Garam Masala 2 tsp.
Amchur( Dry Mango)  Powder 1 tsp.
Water ½  cup
Salt to taste

Method:
Heat oil in the pan
When hot add onions, cumin, turmeric salt, red chilli, coriander powder and water. Mix well.
Just then when you find onions are soft and still crunchy, and then mix in it dry mango powder.

Lastly serve it with hot roti or phulkas.


4 comments:

  1. The story u mentioned is so nice...and the pic looks so perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manisha- The story is so close to my heart. You also make this dish and I am sure the taste will also be perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rainy day subji looks so delicious. Simple foods that we enjoy in our childhood are so close to our heart. Thanks for linking ...the pics are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayanthi-You are so right. Simple is the best:)

    ReplyDelete

Do not be a silent reader, do leave your comments :)