I wanted to make Brinjal curry, but in a different way. What was different? Well I used roasted almonds and grilled the rings of brinjal (not the whole brinjal). I was so happy with result that I wanted to post it immediately.
- 2 cups Chopped thin Rings of Brinjal/Aubergine/ Baigan
- 10-12 almonds
- 2 dry red chillies
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup curd
- 1 Bay leaf/ Tej Patta
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi dana
- ½ tsp fennel seeds/ Saunf
- 1 tsp coriander seeds/ akkha dhaniya
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai/ sarson
- Salt to taste
- 1/ tbsp coriander powder/dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp red chiili powder (or adjust as per taste)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhaniya/cilantro
- Apply oil on the baking tray and bake brinjal rings at 150C for 12 minutes (or till the skin becomes soft )
- Dry roast almonds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and bay leaf. And powder it in the blender/mixer.
- Heat oil and add garlic and onions. Cook till it is soft.
- Then add tomatoes, curd and all the other masala/dry spices and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- When the above mixture is cooled then puree it in the blender.
- Again heat pan and add in the puree, roasted powder , water and baked brinjal rings. Bring to boil and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice or any bread/roti.