Cannellini beans are white in colour and belong to beans (Rajama) family. I saw cannellini beans at the grocery store and they looked so wonderful, so I thought of making it in the Indian style. The white coloured beans looked very tempting when paired with yellowish red gravy. It tasted just like Rajma . Another successful experiment!!!
- 1 cup cannellini beans, washed, soaked overnight with 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/jeera
- 5-6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Onion, sliced
- 2 large Tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Coriander powder/dhaniya
- 1 tsp Cumin powder/jeera
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Boil overnight soaked beans with 3 cups of water in pressure cooker for 8 whistles.
- Heat the oil in a deep, thick-bottomed pan on a medium flame.
- Add the cumin seeds and allow them to cook for a minute or so.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Then mix in finely chopped onions and fry until the onions become slightly translucent.
- Now add the sliced onions and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and ginger paste along with 2-3 tsp water and mix well.
- Add the above paste to the pan and let this cook for 5-7 minutes till the mixture starts leaves oil.
- Add tomatoes. Cover and cook this mixture for 8-10 minutes till everything gets mushed up.
- Now add beans, salt and required amount of water according to the desired gravy thickness.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add garam-masala just before taking off the flame.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with rice, roti or rice.